Signs That You May Need a Root Canal
A root canal is a dental procedure that removes decay that has gotten through to your tooth’s pulp and root. Persistent toothache is only one of the signs that you may need a root canal. You can learn about the other symptoms here. Need dental help? You’ll find Dr. Todd A. Manela at Washington Street Family Dentistry, in Toms River, NJ. He has been practicing dentistry for over 30 years.
Telltale that you Need a Root Canal
When you experience these symptoms, this is the time to contact Dr, Manela for an examination:
- Persistent pain: It could be caused by tooth decay, a cracked tooth or an impacted tooth. It’s best to see your dentist as soon as you experience tooth pain to reduce the risk of tooth loss.
- Heat and cold sensitivity: If your tooth hurts when you drink a glass of cold water or a cup of hot coffee, you may need a root canal. The pain may come and go, but it could be a sign that your tooth’s nerves or blood vessels are infected.
- Swollen gums: If your gums are swollen around the affected tooth and the swelling is painful or has an unpleasant discharge, this could be a sign of an abscess in the tooth’s pulp.
- Discoloration: An abscess or infection can cause the affected tooth to become discolored, giving it a grey appearance.
- Pain when you chew or bite: Soreness when you eat, could be a sign of nerve damage or tooth decay. This is even more likely if the pain lingers after you have finished eating.
If you have dental pain or think you may need a root canal, you should contact your dentists as soon as possible.
If you live in or around Toms River, and you’re looking for a family dentist, call Dr. Manela today at (732) 349-0006 to schedule an appointment.